The phrase,'Unsound Transit', was coined by the Wall Street Journal to describe Seattle where,"Light Rail Madness eats billions that could otherwise be devoted to truly efficient transportation technologies." The Puget Sound's traffic congestion is a growing cancer on the region's prosperity. This website, captures news and expert opinion about ways to address the crisis. This is not a blog, but a knowledge base, which collects the best articles and presents them in a searchable format. My goal is to arm residents with knowledge so they can champion fact-based, rather than emotional, solutions.

Transportation

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

More Prop 1 Eco focused fliers

More Proposition 1 propaganda — for eco-sensitive narcissists like me!

10/31/07 By Knute Berger

More sales pitches have arrived in the mailbox regarding the Proposition 1 roads-and-transit measure. This time they are pro-Prop 1. Both were paid for by Keep Washington Rolling. I rate these pieces as very effective: They appeal to environmentally sensitive narcissists, one of Puget Sound's least-endangered species.

One assures that "Washington's leading environmentalists urge you to vote 'Yes' on roads and transit" and features blurbs from Washington Conservation Voters, the Washington Environmental Council, Futurewise, Rep. Jay Inslee, Mayor Greg Nickels, and others. No mention of such anti-environmental zealots as King County Exec Ron Sims or the Sierra Club, who oppose the measure and favor immediate destruction of planet Earth. The piece also touts "50 new miles of light rail," bike lanes, and pedestrian paths. I searched hard: no mention of the billions it slates for roads and highways.

That's probably because they sent a second piece catering to the needs of gas guzzlin' voters, too. This slick piece is headlined, "Turns out, it really is all about you," with an arrow pointing to me stuck in traffic. Yes me. Of course, I've never driven a white Chevy Caprice, but they say it's a picture of me.

Anyway, this piece seems a little more honest: Prop 1 is a big pork barrel with something for everyone, it says. Especially me! I am looking forward to when Prop 1 will end congestion by getting everyone off the road but me. I'm also looking forward to my new taxpayer-funded Chevy Caprice. Thank you, Prop 1!

The articles are posted solely for educational purposes to raise awareness of transportation issues. I claim no authorship, nor do I profit from this website. Where known, all original authors and/or source publisher have been noted in the post. As this is a knowledge base, rather than a blog, I have reproduced the articles in full to allow for complete reader understanding and allow for comprehensive text searching...see custom google search engine at the top of the page. If you have concerns about the inclusion of a specific article, please email bbdc1@live.com. for a speedy resolution.